|Full Name||Stocking Anarchy|
|Hair Color||Navy on outside, Pink on inside|
|Weapon||Stripes I & II|
|First Appearance||"Excretion Without Honor and Humanity"|
|Voiced By||JP: Mariya Ise|
EN: Monica Rial
"I do not understand how I can ever be related to you."
-Stocking to Panty
Stocking Anarchy (アナーキー・ストッキング Anākī Sutokkingu, transliterated as "Anarchy Stocking") is the titular co-protagonist of Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt. Stocking is the youngest of the Anarchy sisters. Her name is derived from the object she is able to weaponize.
Stocking physically appears as about 17 years old (though she is about 1700 years old), which can be deduced from the fact that physically she is at least one year younger than Panty. Because of this she can still attend high school, most likely as a second year student. She has pale skin and a typical ”Hime Cut” hairstyle. Her hair is long and navy on the outside while pink on the inside, and is tied with a bow (dark blue in human form, light blue in angel form). Stocking insists that everything she eats goes to her breasts, which hasn't been confirmed to be true. However, her chest is shown to be bigger than Panty's. Her eyes are cyan.
Stocking has gothic lolita clothing. Her stockings in this form are blue with grey stripes. She wears them with a black dress and black slippers. The dress has white frills, a white stripe at the bottom, its waist is tied with a dark blue bow, and there is a white collar tied with a dark blue bow, complete with white sleeves at the ends.
Stocking has a lolita, but not gothic outfit. Her stockings in this form are white with light blue stripes. She wears silver open-toed heels with straps, a loose white dress with a gray stripe at the bottom, and with white bows with light blue hearts on the sides. She also has a a silver corset with a white-gray bust and a light blue heart on the front. Accessorises are a silver choker with white frills, silver bracelets on both arms as well as two silver bracelets on each wrist, and white one finger gloves that reach her arms.
Personality and Interests
Stocking is a levelheaded and intelligent girl, though she can be rude if provoked, especially towards her older sister, Panty.
She does not share Panty's obsession with sex, even though she does display some masochistic tendencies, such as bondage and electrocution. This is ironic since she constantly insults the demon sisters and Corset, by calling them 'BDSM loving freaks'. Instead, Stocking claims she has very special standards in men, and would rather be with someone she truly loves than simply for sex. She strings men along (not wanting them to believe she is 'easy'), and would never cheat on someone she truly loves. However, she has been shown to have a very strange and twisted vision of what attractive is, but she also seems to judge people by what's on the inside instead of out.
She hates spicy food, just as much as Panty hates sweet food. Stocking is sometimes overshadowed by Panty when in larger audiences, like in "Sex and the Daten City" and "1 Angry Ghost". She is almost always seen carrying around a plush cat, Honekoneko ("Bone Kitten"), whose expressions often match Stocking's mood. She loves Honekoneko dearly and won't let anyone touch him.
It has been shown in Les Diaboliques that while she is smarter than Panty and has more common sense, she is not very intelligent as she was easily overwhelmed by the big sophisticated words used by Scanty and Kneesocks.
To prepare for battle, Stocking removes her stockings, to which she can transform into a pair of katanas, known as Stripes I & II, which can be attached at the base of the hilt. It's safe to assume she can form other blades as well, considering the range of weaponry at Panty's disposal. Stripes I & II are able to hurt any spiritual being, such as angels, demons and ghosts.
Stocking displays a supernatural proficiency with her katanas. This includes the ability to spin the blades fast enough to effortlessly deflect bullets, the ability to send out razor-sharp slicing waves by swinging her weapons, and the ability to spin like a top with her swords extended to damage everyone around her. It has been stated by Garterbelt that, contrarily to her sister, she emphasizes skill over power.
Mysteriously, her plushie Honekoneko has once been seen breathing fire.
In "Ghost: The Phantom of Daten City", Stocking, while helping Panty find new men to sleep with, saw the ghost hitting on a few girls, and immediately went to talk to him. He was rude to her, stank, and was generally a very unpleasant person. However, Stocking fell completely in love with him, and even told Panty that she felt like she had been born for the sole purpose of meeting him. That afternoon, Stocking prepared several sandwiches to him. He told Stocking that they tasted like crap though, but Stocking didn't seem to care, accepting and even liking most of his flaws.
They dated many times after that; going to a theme park and skating. Several media started criticizing Stocking for dating a ghost, and Panty, after reading a headline about her sister and her ghost boyfriend, finally decided to talk to Stocking. However, Stocking didn't listen to her, but her insecurities of being an angel finally arose. That night, she confessed to him she was an angel, and that one of her duties was to dispose of ghosts. She also told him she was willing to forsake her duties as an angel, in order to be with him. Stocking then decided to leave the church.
After seeing her sister leave, Panty tried killing the ghost off, but Stocking stopped her, telling her she couldn't understand her feelings, for she had never fallen in love before. Panty told Stocking that the ghost didn't love her back, but the ghost told her she was mistaken, and proceeded to propose to Stocking with a ring. However, before Stocking could accept, the ghost started glowing, and eventually dissappeared. Garterbelt explained the ghost had been purified, for falling in love with Stocking. .
The song "CHOCOLAT", sung by Mariya Ise, is meant to represent their relationship.
Throughout the series, Stocking either eats or mentions wanting to eat a variety of sweets, including:
- Jean-Paul Heaven
- Whity-White's special roll cake.
- Sparkling Queen Nougat
- Free Franky's Frankfurters
- Stocking's appearance and theme may be based off of Marie, from Marie & Gali; in which Marie is also a girl who enjoys food, has a plushie animal and wears gothic lolita styled clothing.
- In "Catfight Club", Stocking admitted to sleeping with one of Panty's partners (the gym rat), confirming that she is not a virgin herself.
- Stocking has always worn a corset even in her angel form, which just happens to be the name of the demon sisters' boss.
- Stocking's weapons, Stripes I & II, still had a blue/white color scheme at the end of "Bitch Girls: 2 Bitch". This may indicate that she's possibly still an angel, due to the weapons of the Demon Sisters, Scanty and Kneesocks, having a yellow/black color scheme.
- In the last episode of the show, she cuts Panty into 666 pieces and stares she is a demon, it is very likely a gag, but that is often debated about due to it being continued in the comic “Geek Boy Homecoming”. However, if she is in fact a demon, she is the only demon with normal colored skin. A notable reason Stocking would deserve to be considered a demon may be payback for slicing Panty into 666 pieces at the end of "Bitch Girls: 2 Bitch."
- Her cat toy, Honekoneko, is used as a flamethrower, as seen in "If the Angels Wore Swimsuits".
- She is also considered to be the most popular character in the whole series.
- A common mistake people make about the blue part of Stocking’s hair is that it’s purple which furthers the idea that she looks like Twilight Sparkle.
- In the Season 2 teaser art there is a giant entity that resembles Stocking that is believed to be a possible demon form. But the way it’s colorized and stylized appears to look more like how ghosts look on the show. It can possibly be a ghost form for Stocking, a ghost that emerged from Stocking or a ghost created to serve as an imitation of Stocking.
- If one were to go with the idea that the Stocking in the infamous ending of the series was actually an imposter, it could be possible that a ghost was taking her form. Since there have been ghosts who have been able to take on humanoid non-ghostly forms in the series, this is one possibility. Alternatively Stocking could have either been a ghost all this time or became a ghost in some way and used a fake angel form.