Hi guys! While I'm pleased to be speaking with all of you, I have some bad news. As horrible as it sounds, a second season (or any further continuation) of Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt is unlikely (though, not impossible). Below, I've compiled a list of the reasons why.
- First, the after-credit ending of "Bitch Girls: 2 Bitch", which is what caused the excitement over a possible second season, is a very typical example of the GainaxEnding trope. An ending like this is intentionally meant to make very little sense and give the user false hope for a continuation of the series. As the trope's name implies, this is a common trope in Gainax-produced series; they seem to enjoy messing with the viewer.
- Bill 156, a part of the Tokyo Youth Ordinance bill, was successfully approved by the Tokyo Assembly. Because of this, the industry is required to regulate "manga, anime, and other images (except for real-life photography) that unjustifiably glorify or exaggerate certain sexual or pseudo sexual acts." In addition, another part of the bill would allow the government to regulate content that is "considered to be excessively disrupting of social order". The show's creator has expressed concern over this, jokingly stating that he considered making season two live action in order to bypass the bill.
- The show's director, Hiroyuki Imaishi, has left Gainax and formed his own studio, Trigger. It is likely that Gainax owns the rights to Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt. These two things put together would make for quite an interesting legal event if Gainax (or Trigger, if Imaishi somehow managed to keep the rights to PSG) did attempt to make a second season.
- In addition to the above, Trigger released a trailer for their work which states that Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt is one of Imaishi's previous works.
- The time frame itself makes a season two unlikely; it has been nearly two years since PSG went off air. However, the most recent content to be dubbed by FUNimation was released in January 2013.
Unfortunately, it isn't looking good for a possible season two. I, for one, am pretty disappointed.